Friday, December 7, 2007

Yet again Gino wasn't there when everybody else heard the instruction "No personal angst"

That's my final project.
OHGODTHISISIT.mp3


Honestly, I can't be anymore disappointed in myself. I've caused a lot of trouble in class, but I told myself it's ok, because I will redeem myself. And what better chance to do that than making my final project a blast? I've put so much effort into this project that when I say I TRIED MY BEST, I mean it this time. I skipped all of my classes on Monday to go down to Cornell to do interviews, and that night I stayed at School of Management until 3 am to log the interviews. Tuesday I pulled an all-nighter at Newhouse II again doing more loggin. Wednesday I stayed in our classroom from 1 o'clock in the afternoon until 4 o'clock in the morning on Thursday, and the reason I left was because somebody told me to leave because Newhouse closes at 4 a.m. Then I went home, took a shower, then I went to the library. And at 10 I went back to Newhouse and continued working on the project. With all this time, anybody could have easily finished not just one, but two or even more projects. I honestly do not understand why I couldn't finish it. I kept working on it until literally the last minute. I mean when everybody was in the hallway laughing and chatting, I was in the booth, putting my pieces together, and getting it on my thumb drive. After my piece was played in class, I felt like the last bit of my adrenaline got used up, my last bit of energy was used up, and I almost just fainted in my chair.
Initially I was going to talk about how things have changed for the past 15 years, but it seemed that although everybody felt there has been a change, very few of them could actually pin point "this is what it was like 15 years ago, and this is what it's like today." Instead, they all seemed way more interested in what's going on right now such as the self-selected racial segregation, DIversity is a broad topic. There were a thousand ways this project could have been done very well because the topic covers such a wide array of issues. There was only one way it could have been done bad by losing your focus. Surprise surprise, THAT was the way Gino went with this project, and he did that well.
All that said, I enjoyed the process of doing this project. It was totally worth it. Not only because I was doing something I was truly interested in and learned a lot about my topic, but also because I felt like a professional reporter. There I was at Cornell, going from one unfamiliar building to another, asking random people questions. I enjoyed that. It was kind of scary, especially when I thought I was going to be trapped there because there was no shuttle bus coming back to Syracuse Airport. But it was all fun. I enjoy being a reporter.
I love our class. This is going to sound totally cliche but we really are a freaking family. Everyone gave me support no matter how messed up I am; Richard is everybody's guardian angel and has been 100% reliable for the entire course of the semester, and professor Nicholson? He's everything. He's going ridicule you and challenge you and make you feel like you're the biggest idiot that's ever existed in the history of mankind, but then you realize you're learning so much, and he cares too much about you to ever let you drown, and in the end you realize this is all tough love.
Alright now, so much for my brown nosing. I just want to say thank you guys for being such wonderful people. This is the class that I'm going to remember 10 years from now when I chat with my friends, "Yeah, I remember when I was in college there was this one class..."
Happy holidays. I love you all.

3 comments:

Tyler Condit said...

Gino,
I think you did one helluva job on this project. You had a couple of technical failures, but I thought it was a very nice piece with some great sound. The way you started and ended with the different languages was awesome, it really was a good way for you to go out. By the way, I commend you for going through this class and taking all the s%#* from our excellent professor in stride.
I think you are the man.

Ranbir Boyal said...

We love you too, Gino.

Katie Alexander said...

It was an absolute pleasure to get to know you this past semester. You are the most supportive classmate, and friend, I have met.