Thursday, December 6, 2007

Fan-tastic....


As an SU student, a Orange fan, and a cheerleader, it really bugs me that people do not go to football games. I get it, we are not the best (understatement) but these are our college years and some of the only chances we will get to participate in events like we have at our school. This is why I dove into my topic.

I was not too sure where I was going to go with the project but as I spoke to people it became clear. My piece ended up focusing on the effects of a lack of fan support. I really enjoyed working on my final project because I spoke to a lot of people who are really interested in what they do. Sports fans are great because they are some of the most passionate people.

Some interesting things I learned but did not include in my piece are...
1. I spoke to people at West Virginia and learned that they have a lottery system for student football tickets. They work the tickets into tuition and students have to apply for tickets to go each game. There are only around 12,000 tickets reserved for students and once they are gone, that's it. Penn State sells their tickets on a lottery system as well.
2. Notre Dame has sold out every game for the past forty two years except for one. That one game was an afternoon game on Thanksgiving... and it was raining.
3. Otto's Army includes anyone who has SU season tickets but only around fifty active members.

Final Project.mp3


On a sentimental note:
To my classmates, Riiiichard and Professor Nicholson... our little RTN familia! I just want you all to know this class has been one of the best experiences so far in my college career. Not only did I get to have hands on experience in something I hope to make my future career, but I got to do it with some of the most interesting, genuine, amazing people I have met here at SU. This class has taught me so much outside of academia. I loved that everyone was so different but so real. Never change and stay true to yourselves because you all are incredible.

No comments: