Thursday, December 6, 2007

It's not REALLY over... Right?

FINAL FINAL.mp3


Really? This semester and this class is over? I can't say that I'm not slightly relieved, but I can honestly say also that I'm very sad about it. This class was hard work, but it was the best class that I've taken at Syracuse. I can't believe looking back now at all I accomplished, because when I first came to this class I was so intimidated and unsure. If someone had told me at the beginning of the class that by the end I could go to a venue for a report and interview and talk to people almost effortlessly, I wouldn't have believed them.
My final project was like my child. Blood, sweat, and tears. I am very proud of it, and also of all the interviews that I conducted for it. I met some wonderful people with some fabulous insight on the topic, and on a more personal note, it really gave me a chance to look again at the tragedy of Virginia Tech. Talking to Kelly McCarthy, the sophomore at VT, was emotional. Clearly she was incredibly impacted by the event, and it was evident during our conversation.
The Director of Security at LeMoyne was a wonderful man, who knew a lot and had a lot of opinions on the subject. Talking to him was great, and he really challenged me to look at the bigger picture. I let the fact that he was a Steelers fan slide because of his help. :)
Doing longform was a great experience because it allowed me to expand on ideas more than the usual wraps. It was also challenging because I had SO much information from so many sources, and I couldn't fit it all in. But overall I think I did a pretty good job of representing the main points, letting the soundbites do most of the talking.

No comments: