Thursday, December 6, 2007

Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher, radio!!




I did my piece on HAVA compliant voting systems, and how New York has missed the most recent deadline to purchase a handicapped-accessible voting machine for the 2008 primary.

It was really interesting to talk to people about issues that really interest them. I spoke to Aaron Belisle of the Center for the Independence of the Disabled in New York (CIDNY), and he was telling me about all of the other hardships the disabled in New York face on election day. He was saying CIDNY published several reports about obstructions that alot of the non-handicapped accessible voting polling stations have. CIDNY goes to 5 polling stations per election day, and Belisle told me he found 8 obstructions in one polling station he visited. Obstructions consist of things like doorways that are too narrow for a wheelchair to pass through, or no signs that designate the Handicapped routes to the polls. Belisle said a lot of the times, the officials who run the polls don't change the obstructions because they don't see any handicapped people coming to vote in their polling stations. Belisle suspected this was because the polling stations were not accessible to the handicapped. It's a vicious cycle.

HAVA Voting in New...



I really loved this class. I learned so much. I think I have to agree with Tyler, and say the best part of this project was hanging out with everyone, and watching their stories progress from the planning stages to a final project.
But to put it another way, and at the risk of adding the angst Nicholson warned us against, i really loved this class. I consider all of you my friends. When I left today, it took about ten minutes, but I started crying on my way to my recitation. This class was like a small family, and I am going to miss you all. (especially Zussmania)

No comments: