Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sports Bloggers

I did my story on the emergence of sports bloggers in the media. I talked to a variety of sources from the Syracuse blogging community, Syracuse media, and the national blogging community. There were some aspects of blogging and the relationship between bloggers and the main stream media I was unable to get into my story. I talked with many of my sources about the rift between the MSM and bloggers and both the strengths and weaknesses of the MSM and bloggers. Many of my sources agreed that bloggers are finally beginning to gain respect from the MSM because most of the popular blogs are gaining high levels of credibility. Some of the strengths of the MSM mentioned were its reputation and current large audience. Some weaknesses: a failure to address stories that don't fit in their style of journalism and a lack of willingness to work with the internet community. Some strengths of blogs mentioned were the ability to produce updates rapidly and produce opinionated articles the MSM tends to shy away from.

I also asked many of my sources about the future of sports journalism. A couple give responses along the line "it's hard to tell or anytime I make a prediction, things change so quickly, I'm completely wrong." Also, many of the bloggers say it's not too far in the future where bloggers might be able to gain press passes to major events. The New York Islanders already allow bloggers to come in and live blog games.


Get this widget Track details eSnips Social DNA



Here are the websites of all the bloggers and members of the media I interviewed for this project.

National Blogs:
Deadspin, The Big Lead, Awful Announcing, Storming the Floor, Kissing Suzy Kolber
Syracuse Athletics related Blogs:
Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician, Orange 44, House of Orange
Writers for Syracuse.com
Brent Axe or the "Axeman" and Mike Waters

No comments: