Thursday, November 29, 2007

parachute over me....


It's the last newscast blog. It's sad really.

I did my story on a study that came out of the New England Journal of Medicine that suggested CT scans caused cancer up to 2% of cancer patients.

The thing I learned that I couldn't really fit in my article, was an opinion that Mr. Gignac gave me about 3rd party influences on Medicine. The study showed that since 1970, the number of CT scan treatments had increased significantly, and more often than not, additional CT scans were ordered when they weren't necessarily needed. Mr. Gignac opined that he suspected insurance companies pressured hospitals into ordering another CT scan to do checkups on cancer patients instead of opting for other lab tests that would be more expensive. Mr. Gignac sais he wasn't sure if this was necessarily the case, but it was a trend he had noticed in the past few years.

No comments: