Thursday, November 29, 2007

Chill Day

So yeah today was a really relaxed, easy day. It was really easy producing at this point in the semester. We got everything done pretty quickly. Jordan did a great job helping with the writing and made my job easy. The only difficulties I had with the newscast was putting together a rundown. As professor Nicholson noted at the beginning of the day, it's a very slow news day. I felt like I found good stories for the newscast that would keep listeners engaged, the problem was that the stories didn't really connect the way some rundowns do, so we were going from Bin Laden, to new school construction, to a hockey team crash, to Broadway.
Once we were in the booth, Jordan read excellently and things went pretty smooth. We were about 20 seconds over heading to the break, and I realized that was going to happen as I was listening, only I couldn't cut a copy story because we teased them both in the headlines (whoops!). So during the break I tried to help Jordan cut down the weather and kicker. I probably should have taken more out. Also I should have set up a system with Jordan so that I could let her know when the end was coming so she could cut it off. As producer it's definitely my fault that we ran over, but hey, it's a learning experience.

No comments: