Friday, November 30, 2007

The end of an era

Thursday was very interesting. Before the newscast I don't think I was even on Team A so this was a very new experience. Overall, I think it could have been better. Our timing was a bit off, but it seems like everyone says the same thing week-in and week-out so I'll put that one behind me. As far as the anchor and reporters, things went off well. Annie did a great job as usual. It took her a while to find a phoner but she never gave up and I'm very grateful for that because the doctor she eventually found made for a good bite.

My main criticism from Professor Nicholson last time I produced was that I needed to stay on my reporters more so that things got finished and carted early so that the newscast could sound as best as possible. I tried to do that this week. I made a soft deadline for 3 p.m. and Matt worked really hard to explain a confusing story to get it in on time and carted. By the soft deadline, we actually had three of four carts ready to go. Faith dealt with a lot yesterday. Between talking to people about AIDS testing (not exactly the easiest thing to talk about) and dealing with me constantly asking if her story was done or how close she was, she could have easily lost it. She stayed calm though, and her wrap turned out great. We ended up getting everything done and printed with just a few seconds to spare and our newscast was pretty good. It definitely wasn't the best newscast ever, but it was a great way to end the semester.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Our newscast had a few kinks in it , but overall I don't think it went off too terribly.

We got everything carted really early, which ended up being really lucky.

Also, great job pulling that copy story on the fly. You might want to post something about that story on the blog though?